Holiday Pet Hazards

We at Pets Premier Mobile Veterinary Clinic wish all our fellow pet lovers a happy holiday season!
The Holidays can unknowingly present some health hazards to your furry loved ones. Here are a few tips to ensure your family pets are protected.

1. Cats especially are attracted to tinsel, and can eat it. Tinsel and other colorful ornaments can cause intestinal obstruction if ingested, so keep them out of all pet’s reach.

2. Of course, all chocolate should be kept away from your pets. Baker’s chocolate is the most toxic. Also, avoid feeding them table scraps, especially fatty foods, as they can cause upset stomachs or a life-threatening condition called pancreatitis.

Here’s a list of problematic holiday foods:
• Alcoholic beverages (including Eggnog)
• Chocolate (baker’s, semi-sweet, milk chocolate)
• Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans)
• Moldy or spoiled foods
• Onions, onion powder
• Fatty foods
• Salt
• Yeast dough

3. Poinsettia, Holly, Mistletoe and Lilies are toxic, especially to cats, if eaten.

4. Keep your pets away from the Christmas tree. Aside from chewing the lights or electrical cords, ingesting pine needles and ornaments, or climbing the tree, the water additives can be harmful to your pet if they drink from the basin. Either cover the base, or add citrus peels to the water to discourage pets from approaching the tree in general.

5. Don’t leave lit candles unattended with animals. They can easily be knocked over. Liquid potpourris can cause severe oral, skin or eye damage, especially in cats.